The Chamber Music Society of Lexington

Dedicated to great music, close to home!

The Church

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE TRINITY COVENANT CHURCH


In the late 1800s Cambridge, Massachusetts abounded with Swedish (and other) ethnic populations. The first Swedish language preaching services were held during the winter of 1881.

The Swedish Evangelical Mission Church of Cambridge, was organized with 24 founding members in 1897. The church continued to hold Swedish language services in Cambridge until the mid 1930s.

In 1945, as the church was no longer exclusively Swedish, the church name was officially changed to the Evangelical Covenant Church of Cambridge. At the same time the church joined the Evangelical Covenant Church of America denomination.

During the 1950s the congregation began exploring relocation. More space was needed for Sunday School classes and its members were moving out of Cambridge into the more suburban landscapes of Arlington and Lexington.

In 1958 the church purchased 41 acres of land in Lexington. Construction of the current facility began in 1964. The first service in the Lexington church, the current facility, was held in June 1966.


   

DIRECTIONS


Directions from Massachusetts Avenue in Lexington Center:

  Turn RIGHT/LEFT onto Waltham Street, and continue through Marrett Square (1.2 mi)

  Turn LEFT onto Allen Street

  Turn RIGHT on Clematis Road

  Trinity Covenant Church's drive-way is near the end of the road, on the right


Directions from Trapelo Road:

  Turn LEFT/RIGHT onto Waltham Street

  Turn RIGHT onto Allen Street (0.3 mi)

  Turn LEFT onto Clematis Road (0.1 mi)

  Trinity Covenant Church's drive-way is near the end of the road, on the right


Directions from Route 2:

  Exit onto Waltham Street (West bound, exit 54B; East bound, exit 53)

  Turn RIGHT onto Allen Street (0.3 mi)

  Turn LEFT onto Clematis Road (0.1 mi)

  Trinity Covenant Church's drive-way is near the end of the road, on the right




7 Clematis Road, Lexington MA 02421